Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Summer fun and the Orthodontist

Carter got a retainer to get him ready for surgery. We have to tape it to his face every morning and sometimes at night. He absolutely hated it at first, but he has adjusted very well. He kind of uses it as his binki now. It is pretty cute. But since he hated it so badly at first we had to put arm restraints on him. This device is called Honey Cuffs and was created by a mom with a cleft baby. It restrains his arms but still allows him to move and exercise his arms. The picture below is Landen trying to help his screaming brother to feel better.

This is a picture of the first day he had the retainer. You can see all the tape on my poor baby's face. The tape across his lip is to help stretch out the middle section of his lip. If we don't stretch it out, when Dr. Kjar fixes his lip his nose will be pulled down with his lip.


With all the doctor appointments we have in Salt Lake we have tried to make a day out of a couple of them. And, thanks to my awesome Mom for always going to appointments with me!


This is at the aquarium in south Salt Lake. It was pretty fun and Landen enjoyed looking at all the fish.



This is at a pool party with all our Mountain America friends. We are still invited to this one party a year and we love it! It is a really nice pool and Landen loves the basketball hoop.




So..all together things are going really well. We met with the surgeon again last week and he is pretty optomistic regarding Carter's progress. He will probably be getting his lip surgery in the middle of October. And Landen has never been a better boy. On Sunday I actually caught him cleaning up his room all by himself! I didn't even ask him too!! We are so blessed to have great kids!

4 comments:

Brooke said...

Things look good Tiff! If you need anything let me know.

By the way I ran into a lady who had a little girl with a cleft lip the other day at the gym. I told her about you and she said you were very blessed to be able to take care of this while he is so young. I guess it's harder when they are older. She had just adopted this little girl from china or something like that and so they were just starting her stuff, but she looked great and was super cute! Anyway just had to tell ya.

Wendy Pippin said...

Your boys are so adorable. I just want to cuddle and squeeze them. You are an amazing mom...what lucky boys!! Keep being that wonder mom you are...I know I'm far away now, but SLC is on the way to my place...come visit me!

Kyle and Shayla said...

Carter has gotten a lot bigger since the last time I saw him. What a sweet little man! Bless his little heart having to deal with all that tape on his face, I can't imagine that's very comfortable. He looks like he's doing great though and I am glad things are progressing for you and also that Landen is being such a good big brother:)

Cindy said...

Look how big Carter is getting! He looks so good, I'm glad that retainer his retainer is not bothering him anymore!

Looks like you have been having a fun summer! You are such a wonderful mom Tiffany, I need to be more like you!

Love you guys!